Family Legal Ease - Family Law and LGBT Legal Services

Take the Stress out of Family Law

Family Court Matters don't have to be difficult or confusing.

  • What should you  do if your child's other parent has taken the child in violation of a valid court order? Child Abduction
  • What should you do if you suspect or have knowledge of physical abuse, sexual abuse, mental/emotional abuse, and/or severe neglect of a child? Child Welfare Services (Child Abuse Hotline.)
  • How can you find out whether an individual has been the subject of an in investigation of child abuse for the physical abuse, sexual abuse, mental/emotional abuse, and/or severe neglect of a child? Child Abuse Central Index. (warning: Dissemination of CACI information is restricted and controlled by the Penal Code.)

How do you change your name legally?
  1. Fill out the Petition for Change of Name (Form NC-100), including the Attachment to Petition (Form NC-110) and make 2 copies of each.
  2. Fill out the Order to Show Cause for Change of Name (Form NC-120) and make 2 copies.
  3. Fill out the Civil Case Cover Sheet (Form CSM-010)
  4. File all your papers with the copies in the court in the county where you live.
  5. When your hearing is set, a copy of the Order to Show Cause for Change of Name (NC-120)  must be published  once a week for four consecutive weeks prior to the date of the hearing. For a List of Adjudicated Newspapers click here.
  6. Go to your court date and take the proof of publication from the newspaper. You will also need the Decree Changing Name (Form NC-130) for the judge to sign.
  7. Once you get your Decree Changing Name, get a certified copy from the court. You will need this to change all your legal documents, including your birth certificate, social security card, and other papers like passport.


Litigation Alternatives: ADR - Alternate Dispute Resolution

What about Alternate Dispute Resolution - sounds good, so what's it all about?

Be very careful! The Court ADR program known as the PCTJ program takes away your rights! There are some important facts you should know before agreeing to enter this program. This program is appropriate for some types of cases but certainly not for all types of cases. Make sure you know the law and the facts before getting in to the program because, despite what you may be told, you can not just get out of it if it is not working for you. See California Rules of Court 2.831(f)

Family Legal Ease



The content of this website is not intended to be, nor should it be considered, legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship of any kind.

 Family Legal Ease, Law Office of Rivka Israel, Esq. BBB Business Review

Share on Facebook

Share on Facebook

Please Consider Supporting the Cause

Click above to make a donation